Back to Article directory
The kids will fall in love with more than 25,000 different fishes out of 1,500 species on exhibit at The Shedd Museum
The Shedd Aquarium
Jan 23, 2014
For some family-fun time with the kids, book a charter bus and head on to Illinois where you can experience many fun places that the whole family can enjoy. One place to visit for some family bonding would be the Shedd Aquarium, located in Chicago, Illinois. This is an indoor public aquarium that houses more than 25,000 fish, with a capacity of 5 million gallons of water. Some of the 1500 species you will find at Shedd Aquarium are such like fishes, marine mammals, birds, snakes, insects and amphibians.
Opened since 1930, the Shedd Aquarium features several permanent exhibits. These fascinating exhibits are:
- Waters of the World: The oldest gallery at the aquarium houses species such as mantella frogs, seahorses, Grand Cayman blue iguanas, giant octopus, River otter, sea stars and more.
- Caribbean Reef: Most prominent part of this exhibit is the diver interacting with the animals in this exhibit while talking to visitors. Features a circular tank to enable mini bus visitors to walk around the exhibit for easy viewing.
- Amazon Rising: A recreation of Amazon River with flooded forests and surrounding jungle. This exhibit houses 250 different species such as spiders, anacondas, caimans and pirahnas.
- Wild Reef: Situated two levels below the building, this exhibit is a recreation of a Philippines coral reef featuring live corals, sharks and many fishes and rays.
- Stingray Touch: This exhibit would be the most enjoyable for the whole family as charter bus visitors can get hands-on experience with cownose rays and yellow spotted rays.
- Abbott Oceanarium: Features marine mammals such as belugas, penguins, sea lions and dolphins. This is the largest indoor marine mammal facility in the world.
Experiencing Animal Encounters
Having a closeup experience with an animal is always a wonderful feeling. At Shedd Aquarium, coach bus visitors can come face to face with a marine mammal. Some of the mammals that visitors can get close with are like the beluga, penguins, or even be a trainer for the day. There are also special tours offered by Shedd Aquarium that can make your visit even more exciting. These tours are such as:
- Behind-the-Scenes Tour: See through the eyes of a Shedd Aquarium animal care staff in a 50-minute guided tour from the healthcare center to meal preparation.
- Feeding Tour: A 50-minute guided exploration at the Wild Reef where you can feed the sharks.
To get to Illinois together with your family without additional stress or hassle, why don’t you consider booking a bus? Call 1-888-572-2883 or 773-245-0456 for a quote or to reserve your special charter bus.